~Audi alteram partem~

You know your part of the story. Now hear the other side.
Cos everyone just want to be heard
.

The Breakup Letter

Dear Singapore,

We have been together for so long. It has been 11 years this May. I've shared with you the best years of my life, but I think it's time to go our separate ways. I'd like to say that it's not you, but it really is you.

I genuinely wanted to be with you for a long time, I planned my life around you, but you rejected me. I planned to settle down with you, but I was never in your plan. I've been trying to improve for you, be a better person for you, but I'm never good enough. Now that you've rejected me for the third time, I realised it's not me, it really is you.

You were my teenage crush. You're hot, handsome, and rich. I fell for you when I was young, so even though your brain and heart are empty, it didn't matter for me. You're full of life, and excitements, and glamour. But as I grow older, my values changed. Now I want someone who is grounded, and who will love me for who I am. I'm no longer a teenager, and that's why I have to move on from you.

I'm still a dreamer, but now I dream of different things.

I need to find someone who's ready to settle down too. A family man, if you will. To be completely honest, I ran into my long-lost love recently, Ireland, and that's what changed my mind. He was my childhood love. After we lost contact for so long, I seldom thought of him. But when we met again recently, I realised that he's always been my ideal man.

I'm not sure if you know him, or even heard of him. People say he looks cold from the outside, but he's really a warm person inside. The most important thing is, he could love me for who I am, including my weaknesses and everything I'm lacking of. He's much older than you, but that's what I need, somebody who's been through a lot and matured by his experiences. Somebody who understands the importance of inner peace and prioritise it over chasing after ambitions.

I will always remember our love story, but we're just not good for each other. You've never accepted me wholly, because by your standards I'm not good enough. That's ok, I can't change your standards and I've come to love myself as I am. Neither of us is to blame, we're just different; We have different values and priorities.

In any case, it's time to say goodbye.

Like the break of any relationship, it is painful, it's not going to be easy, and it will take time. After all, 11 years is a long time, we have made so many memories together. But this goodbye is also relieving. We don't have to tolerate each other anymore. We don't have to pretend anymore. We can be ourselves. We can just be. I wish you all the success, which you've worked so hard for and fully deserved. My only wish is that you'd take life a bit slower and enjoy the little things money can't buy.

Love always,
G071XXXXR

0 comments:

Post a Comment